Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Home Again, Home Again

We headed to the motherland a month or so ago. It's hardly new news anymore - we've been home for so long. But the occasion was far too important to let the news slip by unmentioned.

Little bro Collin, who's made a few appearances around here thanks to his visit in March and his overall awesomeness, officially bid the masses of lovely ladies adieu (really - so many cuties at the house. Who knew Collin was such a hunk?) and embarked on a two-year mission on behalf of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

He spoke in church before he left - as is typical - and he made me cry - as is also typical (all precious things reduce me to tears as of late. Hormonal?). But more than tears of inevitably missing him (because really, all Furniss kids have flown the coop; I think we'd be more confused by a sibling who did live nearby), I was in complete awe and admiration of what an incredible, mature, with-it man this kid has become. His words and his thoughts were focused on sound gospel topics and were a clear reflection of his study, prayer and careful evaluation of his own relationship with our Savior. I'm so proud of him and can't wait to hear about his experiences over the next 24 months.

So far, I've managed to keep him out of the sibling call rotation on the walk home from the grocery store (prime sibling chat time) and I resisted the urge to text him yesterday when something I read reminded me of the Angry Beavers.

The 'rents were able to snag this quick photo with their man-child at the Missionary Training Center in Provo. The swine flu reduced what used to be a lengthy goodbye to a tuck-and-roll at the MTC curb (Ha HA, just when you thought all references to SF were slowing down...) - but I'm glad they were able to secure photo evidence to prove he's actually there. Now what we really need is the pointing-at-the-big-map pic, dude.
The rest of our Utah trip consisted of all things wonderful. I can see how that may seem like an exaggeration. Not so. Within our first 5 waking hours in the state, we'd already played tennis, gone on a hike and had a cookout with the Riley family in the canyon above Noah's parents' home.

The rest of the week held reunions over lunch with former coworkers, Sunday dinners with both the Rileys and Furnisses under one roof (a HUGE highlight! I love how much our families enjoy being around each other; it baffles/saddens me to think of it being any other way), My Dough Girl on a rainy evening with six of my favorite SLC ladies, Lindsay's cooking and a midnight nap on Millet's couch when our flight was delayed (that's the mark of true friends - "want take us to the airport?" "want to let us crash in your living room when we can't leave?").

I was - seeking for the most neutral expression here - interested to examine my feelings while home. Of course Utah is home and familiar and all the wonderful things associated with those we love. But I was pleased, for the sake of the Allison and Noah Riley family, to feel ever so slightly like a visitor in the Beehive State for now. It was nice to come back to New York and feel like this is really our little piece of the planet right now.

It's great to be home and we've been on a dead-run ever since. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

John said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.