Monday, December 3, 2007

Jazzed.

Sometimes living 20 miles from your parents and only six blocks from the artist formerly known as the Delta Center really has its perks. Because if your dad happens to score sweet-as tickets to Jazz/Lakers game, who do the 'rents invite?! That's right. And when your little brother has to work that night, then who do they call? That's right. I've never been so happy that Collin has resigned himself to a life (at least, his pre-high school graduation life) of saving swimmers at the local pool. Because my dad is hip. And the tickets were sweet.

Noah and I had a great time with my parents, and for the most part, I stayed pretty focused on the game. I did, however, get a little distracted by the great people-watching opportunity. Among my list of people watching finds... Elder Perry and Robert DeBry. Successful crowd sifting, non?

During the game, I couldn't help getting a little reminiscent of going to games with my dad (pictured above) when I was a kid and taking binoculars so I could see the court. Which, coincidentally, usually aided in said people watching activity even way back when. People watching with binoculars?! Disturbing. I didn't realize I was such a weirdo until just now.

And a photo of the evening's "big deal" for good measure. Noah and I agreed - we expected him to be taller. Also, if you squint - Elder Perry is in the background. An even "bigger deal" in my book. And I am always pleasantly surprised by how tall he is.

14 comments:

Lane Blake said...

Oh man.. how I miss Jazz games, they are so much fun! It looks like you guys had a great time!

Jaci said...

I am thinking you have a very pleasant life. How fun!?

Heather said...

Hi! It's Heather(cutler). I saw your blog link on facebook, I'm glad I checked it out! So cute! Your 'people watching comments' made me laugh out loud. I have a blog too (it's pretty humble...) but if you want to check it out, it's http://heather-time.blogspot.com

melissa said...

Elder Perry at a Jazz game is a really funny picture in my head. Last time I was out there, his wife almost ran over me. At least, that's how I tell the story.

Ashley said...

Ha ha, the first thing I thought of when I started reading was how I used to go and just look through dad's binoculars. Sisters. And how do you even know what Robert DeBry looks like?

AJ and Cindy said...

That is so cool you got to go to the Jazz game, and to see some "celebrities" :) looks like you had a great time, cute pictures!

Rileys said...

How fun! It makes me miss going to the Jazz games with my dad... when my little brother couldn't go of course. Can't wait to see you guys again, counting down the days now!

Nicole said...

Ha! I'm so glad you admitted to people-watching at a sporting event. I'm completely distracted by the crowds at games. Also, if you watch any TV around here you're on a first name (and face) basis with Bob DeBry. He will TOTALLY be your lawyer! (Your Dad is cool. The seats we had when my Dad took us to games would have required a telescope to see the field/court.)

Allison and Noah Riley said...

Melissa - that's so crazy. The first time I met Elder Perry, I literally almost ran into him. He was at the Homecoming parade in Logan, and I was nonchalantly crossing the street (thinking traffic would be halted for the festivities) when cars started darting toward me. I broke into a full-on dash and almost collided with Elder Perry on the other side of the street.

Darby said...

I love people watching. It's the best recreational activity in a large crowd. I don't think you're weird, because I have a short story for you. My room at Hillside was on the very north end of the building so Dal and I had prime window watching opportunities of people falling down 600 North in Logan. It was great especially when it snowed. It was awesome and that's how we spent a lot of our time at lunch.

Darby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darby said...

Allison, I'm so impressed with your blog humor! I've been laughing my fat face off all morning! Thanks for giving me something to do at work! ;)

Sarah and Trent said...

Hey! I loved looking at your guys' blog too. I saw those cute pictures of your BYU girl hair on Ben and Natalie's blog. So hot!! You guys are pretty darn silly. Looks like a fun game, are you a poor middle child too by the way? We went to the Jazz/Suns game and we were the only ones cheering for the Jazz down here! We got some dirty looks.
Sarah Porter

Paco Belle said...

Nearly Courtside Seats?! Lucky!! Man to be that close the Luke Walton...AWESOME! Heh heh. I met Ezra Taft Benson at the Utah Symphony, and bumped into Thomas S. Monson in the bathroom at the circus. Can I be part of the cool group now? Noah, I didn't have a chance to meet you the other night, but Allison is a true pleasure to work with. She is great...but you know that already. My wife appreciated you introducing yourself to her while I was off goofing around. Happy Holidays to you both!

Duellie