Monday, December 31, 2007

Bearly There

I don't have all our Christmas pics uploaded yet, so the actual obligatory Holiday Post is still waiting in the wings. In the meantime, I thought I'd post these pictures and take a quick stroll down memory lane...

When I was a little kid, we used to visit the Christmas Village in downtown Ogden each year. Noah was kind enough to endure my need to reconnect with my 4-year-old self, and we stopped by the Village while we were downtown on Christmas Eve. It's basically a mock-up of Ogden's companies and buildings with a Christmas theme, and Santa is in a house in the middle of it all. (Tell me that's not a sweeter memory than standing in line at the mall...) Despite all the work that goes into recreating each business in the area and the mechanical elves putting on a very convincing display inside, my favorite part of the Village was always THIS guy.

My Dad took my picture in front of this bear when I was probably two or three, and from that point henceforth I just assumed he belonged to me. (A bit territorial, yeah. But I was the middle child, and ownership opportunities were few and far between. You took what you could get.) So it was sort of bittersweet this year to find the bear in this half-lit existence, I think he's seen better years. I think I'll start a "Save Allison's Bear" fund.

I also wanted to add this one with the younger siblings in tow - mainly because I loved the giant Collin on the right. Don't get me wrong, he's a tall kid. But I don't think he could swallow Megan WHOLE as this picture may have you believe.

9 comments:

Whitney said...

so that's Christmas village in ogden. oh the bear is so cute, i would contribute to your fund. and you and noah look fantastic in that picture!

Ashley said...

I'll be the first to donate. $40.

(How convenient. I owe you $40.)

Heather said...

I'm sorry for your friend. Does it have a name?

Devin said...

Hey! I'm so glad you guys have a blog. That makes me really happy! We need to get together sometime. I'm dating a girl...you will have to meet her.

Ash and Dev said...

Thanks so much for last night! We had a great time and can't wait to do it again. SOON! See you guys soon.

Kari said...

Hey Rileys, can we be blog buddies? So...we live in Ogden and didn't see that village this year. We should stop being lazy and get out. :)

Kari said...

We're in Ogden because Matt transferred to Weber. We'll be here until the spring of '09, and hopefully ONLY that long! We're almost in North Ogden, so I guess we're from two different worlds.

OurHappyFamily said...

What a fun little place. I love the pics... you guys are too cute!

Hope your Holidays were fabulous and good luck with what this new year brings!

P.S You guys going to the PLC reunion? Curt will already be in Utah so Eden and I are thinkin about flyin up! We would love to see you guys again!

"All you need is love" said...

Allison,
I was on a friends blog, when I just happened to see your names...I didn't know the Mcdonald's were friends we had in common~small world. I am going to add you on my friends list on my blog. I also noticed Devin on your comments as well...my, my, so many Barlows.
Jana Barlow