Monday, February 7, 2011

He Did Love a Good Party

There is something so appropriate about Grandpa Furniss hanging on to celebrate his 93rd birthday. He made it this far, after all, may as well grab one more slice of cake for the road.

Just a few days after ushering in his 94th year, my sweet Grandpa passed away and reunited with the sweetheart he's been missing for 11 years. I like to picture her tugging at the curl behind her ear. And maybe Grandpa gave her an, "ah hell, Carol" for old time's sake.
Lloyd & Carol Furniss

Most of the progeny of Lloyd Smith and Carol Marie Chester Furniss gathered in Ogden this week to celebrate a life lived to the fullest.

In short summary, I don't think I've ever laughed so much at a funeral. I expect Grandpa would have liked it that way. He had a certain joie de vivre that lent itself to countless tales - some taller than others - and as my dear Uncle Wayne pointed out, everyone had a story about Grandpa.

I hope you'll indulge me as I share a new favorite (this was new to me, though not new to most...). It helps as quick background to know my grandparents are likely how the term "opposites attract" was coined (physics, pfsh) and my grandma was one of the most prim and proper gals out there. After their first date, Grandpa dropped Grandma off at her apartment. Grandma knew her sister and roommate had been baking bread all evening and so she invited Grandpa in for a hot roll. Grandpa said he'd never been so disappointed as when he learned she was actually referring to bread.

Lloyd Smith Furniss
1918-2011

1 comment:

Alisa and Crowells said...

Wow, these two consecutive posts have stories in themselves! Was your dad able to be at the funeral? I know the chances are slim, but I thought I'd ask. I think I would want to celebrate one more birthday party on earth, too before heading on. :)