Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Chapter Five: No Such Thing as a Free Day at the Salon

This is going in my book on Craigslist finds and fails. This will be the chapter on fails.


After making the hair appointment yesterday, I did a quick search to verify the salon was legitimate and actually located where the girl on the phone claimed it was. It appeared legit and its location is in a nice part of town above a large designer store (not like they were luring me to a creepster apartment building or anything...) so I felt secure in the sense I could confirm with the doorman of what was in the building before I hopped on the elevator bound for the 9th floor.

The alarm sounded earlier than usual this morning, and that - combined with daylight savings' darker mornings and the overall gloomy gray weather - made me want to stay in my cozy little cocooon under the covers for another few hours. But the siren song of being blonde for free willed me out of bed and onto the Metro with the early crowd.


There was something so delightful about walking along Central Park South while the city was waking up. It's fun to see who's out and about in the hours pre-empting the work day... dry cleaners dropping off freshly-pressed shirts to lavish apartment buildings, delivery trucks stocking corner markets in advance of the stream of the day's customers.

My Mary Tyler Moore stroll through the city (truly, I almost tossed my hat, I was in that sort of mood) came to a screeching halt when I approached the building to find every door locked and nobody answering my calls. I secretly hoped when I didn't show they'd give me a call to inquire as to my whereabouts and all would be right in the world. But alas. They did not. I was duped.

But last night we did pick up a 12 amp stick vacuum for free on our way home from work. So net-net.

9 comments:

allegra said...

Getting your hair highlighted in the big city is a gamble. Granted, Bean town is not quite as huge as the Big Apple, but relevant nevertheless. I got my hair done here once. The girl put in about 6 foils (i kid you not,) and proceeded to tell me the charge was in the upper $90 range. What?! The highlights were barely noticeable. So I was a little excited when you said you were getting it for free, only to be let down by this post. Sorry!! Maybe it was a blessing in disguise. Free highlights? You never know exactly what degree of havoc you're submitting yourself to with that price.

btw, i saw your comment on Whitney Cutlers blog. I just met her here. She's awesome! Small world. Well too bad sucka, she's all mine now!

allegra said...

ok, thanks. Max just turned 2. But don't let the face win you over. He definitely has his 2 year old moments:) We'll keep him though.

Yeah, Whitney and I are in the same ward here. We meet in the good 'ol Kendall boiler factory building, with cool antique light fixtures, exposed wood beams and small, small rooms. Not your ordinary LDS chapel. I love it. Do you have a normal chapel in NY or do you meet in some ghetto building?

Sarah and Trent said...

You guys are pretty darn cute! I just wanted to check and see how NY was treatin ya. So sorry to hear about the craigslist mishap. We got a smokin' deal on a car seat/stroller set last night that I'm pretty happy about! We're totally into craigslist too.

Natalie Que said...

Hey Ali and Noah, looks like you guys are having a great time on you NYC adventure. You'd think I would be jealous of many things from your Philly trip, but mostly just the PCS. I love Philly Cheese Steaks, argghhhhh {like Homer}.

Those tartes look divine PS.

Missing you guys!

Hannadam said...

You are hillarious and I love reading your blog posts!

Whitney said...

it was SO good seeing you this weekend! when i saw this post i thought, oh no, i didn't compliment on her hair! i kept thinking, did it look blonder to me? but alas, it did not happen so i wasn't crazy! but i did mean to tell you that you looked so good! really happy and skinny- city walking and running in central park is the bomb! i miss working out with you. and seeing you every day. getting to see you solidified that for me! i love allegra, look at her commenting about our meeting. such a small aggie world

Becky said...

LOL I love reading your blog, it makes me laugh every single time! You are the most clever writer! Oh-- and sorry about being duped. But ya know, everything happens for a reason, you could have come out of there looking like Raggedy Ann!

Rae said...

Hi! I'm a stalker coming out of the woodwork. I also live in the city and really enjoy reading your blog. You have a great writing style and I've found myself laughing out loud and nodding my head, totally understanding what you're going through with moving, finding a place, etc.
Hope you guys are adjusting to the city.

Claire said...

So where did you end up going? Did you try to track them down? Tricky. Tricky. I'm sure you've got friends and people and all that, but I can gather some names for you if you like...